Saturday, July 3, 2010

Britney Spears: The Musician You Know Nothing About

Lemme just say. I like Britney Spears' horrible pop music. I bump to Toxic, dance along to Oops I Did It Again, and feel dirty after viewing I'm a Slave 4 U. I also love 3. But really, what have I learned about Britney through her music? Absolutely nothing. Her music may be catchy and poppy but it's got no substance. None whatsoever, and that's really something. The lyrics are generalized and vague, and I think the only song that really seemed to expose some sort of side of her that wasn't screaming "I'm here to f*** around, wooo!" was Sometimes (which was accompanied by an incredibly cute and cheesy music video). I'd even go as far to say that Lucky and Stronger were a little expository on some parts of her character, the first showing that she was growing weary of her superstardom, and the second showing that she had some kind of confidence in herself that wasn't entirely based on how sexy she looked.

I'll probably update this later with quotes and additional commentary. I just had to get this out.